Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Fish!ing for a compliment?


Arriving at my desk this morning, I was greeted by a delightful surprise. In fact, it was a surprise that made my day. Stood proud on my desk was a bottle of wine, wrapped in a paper bag sealed with a staple, with a small, silver, star-shaped sticker attaching a little note. On the front of the note – a friendly graphic, carefully chosen from our photo bank, and my name in hand-written calligraphy. Inside – a simple, personal sentence of thanks. Following a few 'delicate' weeks at work, this touched me greatly. I went to my colleague to thank them for the gift – more for the words than the wine. What I didn't tell them was that they made my day.

I recently read a wonderful little book called Fish! in which it is suggested that organizations introduce a 'box' which isn't for complaints or suggestions, but rather for people to acknowledge others in an organization who make their day. We don't have such a box in our organization – yet. If we did, I know who would have got my vote today, and in the absence of a box I am just going to have to tell them myself! A little, genuine appreciation can go a long way.

Whose day did you make today? And who made yours?

2 comments:

dormgrandpop said...

Unfortunately, the need for a "box" is that we are not very skilled either in giving or receiving complements. It takes practice. Many of us feel embarassed when we receive a complement. The best response is simply a gracious "thank you." Complements given work better to the degree that they are more concrete and specific. Public complements that take this form are especially effective. Eventually, as the FIsh book suggests, no dobt, one create a context or complementing that makes an organization a far more affirming place to work.

dormgrandpop said...

Unfortunately, the need for a "box" is that we are not very skilled either in giving or receiving complements. It takes practice. Many of us feel embarassed when we receive a complement. The best response is simply a gracious "thank you." Complements given work better to the degree that they are more concrete and specific. Public complements that take this form are especially effective. Eventually, as the FIsh book suggests, no dobt, one create a context or complementing that makes an organization a far more affirming place to work.